Fall Harvest Potato Beet Soup
I’ve been so excited for our Flavors of Fall event to start and it’s finally here! As we head into Fall, soup has been calling my name. Escpecially since we *could* get our first snow of the season overnight tonight! This recipe for Potato Beet Soup is giving me all the feels today because I love potatoes! With a last name like Finnegan, how could I not?! Potatoes are one of the few starches allowed on a Paleo, Whole30, and 21-day Sugar Detox diet, so they regularly make an appearance in my house! They’re also a great option for those of you who are high preforming athletes, like my brother. Have I ever mentioned he’s a USA Olympic climbing hopeful? He also works for the United States Olympic Center here in Colorado Springs in the nutrition department. I’m quite proud of him, can you tell? 😉
This recipe has been sponsored by Melissa’s Produce. All opinions are my own.
Why are potatoes considered Paleo? Because they’re one of the few non-processed carbohydrate sources on Earth. Unlike rice or wheat, we don’t do anything to modify the structure of potatoes before they go on the market. Every year, my family heads to an all-organic farm to pick a TON of produce and potatoes are one of the crops we stock up on. They last for months in my pantry! So my potatoes come straight from the ground and into my recipes! I love that. I’m a huge fan of the Farm-to-Table movement. I love the feeling that I picked this vegetable, I washed and prepared it, I created a recipe with it. I know exactly where this potato came from and what was done to eat before I ate it, nothing. No pesticides, no GMO, nothing. That’s amazing to me!
Did you know that one potato contains 30% of your daily vitamin C requirements? It also has 620 mg of potassium (more than a banana!), no fat or cholesterol, and is super high in electrolytes. Electrolytes are needed for athletic recovery as it aids in muscle and cardiovascular recovery. That’s why you see athletes with those sports drinks like Gatorade. They’re pumped full of electrolytes! But they’re also full of refined sugars and additives. Not a potato! They’re a wonderful, natural source of those electrolytes you need!
As we head in to fall, soup is one of my favorite dishes. I rarely make soup during the summer (who wants to eat soup when it’s 90 degrees out?) so I look forward to the cooler weather and those fall harvest vegetables. Beets and potatoes are a perfect fall addition to the menu. This Potato Beet soup is a great meal idea for after those high-intensity workouts, when all you’ll want to do is curl up and be cozy! Pair it with a couple of my Keto cornbread muffins for the perfect Fall meal!
Per serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 340, Fat: 6.1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 377 mg, Carbohydrates: 57g, Fiber: 7 g, Potassium: 1,415 mg, Protein: 14.4 g, Vitamin C: 75.17 mg
Fall Harvest Potato Beet Soup
- 2 Cups beets peeled and diced
- 5 Medium red potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 Cup cauliflower florets
- 2 Medium Granny Smith apples peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium onion finely minced
- 3 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Quart vegetable or chicken bone broth
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt for serving (I used Kite Hill's almond yogurt)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Grease a cookie sheet and place beets, potatoes, and cauliflower on sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
While vegetables are baking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large stock pot.
Add onions and garlic to olive oil and saute until translucent and tender.
Once vegetables are done, add them to onion/garlic mixture along with apple.
Pour chicken stock over the top of vegetable mix. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, puree mixture. You may need to add more broth or water to achieve desired consistency.
Stir in balsamic vinegar and orange zest. Once plated, drizzle sour cream or yogurt over the top. This soup can be served hot or cold, whichever you prefer! If served cold, chill soup in frig overnight before serving.
The wonderful #FallFlavors sponsors have donated some awesome prizes for our readers to win. They, in conjunction with our participating bloggers and event hosts, Family Around the Table, A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, and Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks invite you to enter the giveaway through the widget below. There are many opportunities to enter!
Dixie Crystals Sugar wants your baking to be sweet. They are giving away a set of OXO Good Grips 3 piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls.
Taylor and Colledge is giving away a variety of their baking pastes. Your fall and holiday baked goods will wow your family and guests.
Take dinner to a whole new level with a variety box of fresh produce from Melissa’s. Here’s an opportunity to try some fruits and vegetables you may not otherwise have in your local market.
One lucky winner will receive a goodie box with a variety of Nairn’s gluten-free products. Enjoy them for a snack or use them in creative ways for meals and desserts.
This giveaway will have multiple winners. Giveaway open to US residents only who are 18 years of age and older. Winners have 24 hours to respond to email notification. If they do not respond within that time they forfeit, and a new winner is chosen. Void where prohibited. Prize fulfillment handled by the sponsor. Neither hosts nor participant bloggers are responsible for prize fulfillment. No purchase necessary. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the posts or entry.
For more recipes featuring ALL the fall flavors, check out some of my blogging friends recipes below!
Monday Fall Recipes
- Apple Butternut Squash Casserole by That Recipe
- Apple Pie Tacos Recipe by Blogghetti
- Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars by Lemon Blossoms
- Apple Tea-ramisu by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls by Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Crisp by Big Bears Wife
- Caramel Apple Empanadas by Take Two Tapas
- Caramel Apple Ice Cream Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Caramel Apple Tea Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Swirl Pound Cake by Family Around the Table
- Creamy Sweet Potato and Sunchoke Soup by Eat Move Make
- Easy Sausage And Veggies Sheet Pan Dinner by Intelligent Domestications
- Fall Harvest Potato Beet Soup by Frugal & Fit
- Fall Punch Mocktail by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Fall Vegetable Breakfast Hash by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Green Appletini Martini by Art of Natural Living
- Grilled Apple and Pear Salad with Maple Walnut Vinaigrette by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Meyer Lemon Scones by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pear Almond Crumble Pie by Savory Moments
- Pear Brown Betty by Cookaholic Wife
- Plum Kuchen by Palatable Pastime
- Scalloped Potatoes with Sweet Potatoes, Fennel, and Leeks by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Smashed Roasted Rosemary & Garlic Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Toasted Pecan Filling by Books n’ Cooks
- Sunchoke Ricotta Gnocchi with Walnut Thyme Butter Sauce by The Spiffy Cookie
Thank you #FallFlavors Week Sponsors: Melissa’s Produce, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & College, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #FallFlavors Week recipes. All opinions are my own. The #FallFlavors Week giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #FallFlavors Week Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors Week posts or entry.