Grain Free Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie
I’ve been traveling this week and haven’t had the time to create a new recipe lately so sorry about being absent! I’m back and more inspired than ever to create budget friendly Paleo recipes for you all! Today, if you follow me on Instagram, I took you Paleo shopping on a budget! My refrigerator and pantry were bare bones as I worked hard to clean it all out before traveling! I was able to completely restock for under $50! Granted, I didn’t get much meat as I had quite a bit still in my deep freezer. But I restocked a ton of vegetables (both fresh and frozen), almond milk, some baking essentials, butter, eggs, and all those perishable type things that need to be replenished after vacations! I bought all the ingredients for this dish today except for the chicken breasts. I had those in the freezer already. This dish was super easy and my biscuit topping had almost a cornbread type texture. It is so yummy and satisfying! Throw whatever vegetables you’d like into it and you’ve got a complete meal in under an hour!
Grain Free Chicken and Biscuits Pot Pie
1 lb chicken breast or tenders
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup frozen green beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Trader Joe’s 21 seasoning
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chicken stock
1 T tapioca starch
1/2 cup almond milk
2 T olive oil
1 C Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Blend (or any gluten free mix will work)
3/4 cup almond flour
2 T tapioca starch
1 T coconut flour
5.3 oz container almond yogurt or 1/2 cup sour cream (I used Kite Hill)
2 T almond milk
1 stick butter, chilled and grated
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
2. Make the biscuits first. Mix dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and mix till a stiff dough appears. You may need a bit more almond milk if the dough doesn’t come together. I just used kitchenaid to make this dough. It should be stiff enough to roll out.
3. On a floured surface, roll out dough and cut small circles out with a glass or biscuit cutter. Set aside.
4. In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium heat. Add vegetables and garlic to pan and fry until onions till transparent. Transfer to a bowl.
5. Add chicken to pan and fry till cooked through and lightly browned. Chop into small pieces and set aside with vegetables.
6. Add more oil to pan. Over medium heat, add tapioca starch and stir for a minute or two. Slowly add chicken stock and simmer till thickened slightly. Add spices and almond milk. Stir to combine. Add vegetables and chicken back into pan. Pour into casserole dish. Top with biscuits.
7. Bake for 40 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Serve hot.