Easy-Peasy Breakfast Casserole
I made this dish yesterday on a whim. I had a bunch of veggies to use up from Easter brunch so I made two pans of casserole to bring to work. And my work studies went NUTS over it! They loved it and are demanding I make it again for them, LOL! 🙂 We ate two pans in one day. There’s only 4 of them!
I literally just threw in things I had leftover in my refrigerator. I didn’t measure anything so I’m going to do my best at giving you the recipe. One pan I made vegetarian. Both have eggs in them (but if you wanted to sub something in for the eggs to make it vegan, I would go with Ener-G Egg Replacer. I’ve got a vegetarian member on my team but he eats eggs so I didn’t worry about substituting. In place of the breakfast sausage, I used Hillary’s vegan breakfast patties (which are yummy, by the way! Even for this meat-eater!). I found them at Sprouts but if you head to their website, you can find out what stores near you sell them too!
For the meat-eaters on my team, I added Jimmy Dean’s natural breakfast sausage. I couldn’t find an organic, loose breakfast sausage. Does anyone know if a company makes that? At least Jimmy Dean’s was gluten free (a must for me) and lacked preservatives or fillers. I had a bazillion extra potatoes left over so I shredded those for hashbrowns myself. You could, of course, buy frozen if you wanted to. Totally up to you. I also added a sharp cheddar cheese to the non-vegetarian one. I hope you all like it as much as my team did! If you try it, make sure you upload a pic! I’d love to see your creations!
- 6 eggs
- 4-5 large russet potatoes, shredded (or use 16-oz bag of frozen shredded potatoes)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 10-12 stalks of asparagus
- 16 oz loose breakfast sausage (for vegetarian, substitute Hillary’s sausage)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional, remove for dairy free)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until cooked through and no longer pink. If you’re using the vegan sausage patties, you’ll need to break them apart with a wooden spoon so they’re crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes and vegetables (except for asparagus) together. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle sausage and cheese over the top of the vegetables. Toss with salt and pepper.
- Whisk eggs together in a small mixing bowl. You can add a ¼ cup of milk or water to thin them out if you like. Pour eggs over the top of the potato mixture. Lay stalks of asparagus across the top of the casserole.
- Bake in oven 45-50 minutes or until casserole is set and lightly browned across the top. Cool slightly and slice into squares. Serve with salsa and extra cheese, if desired.
- To make Paleo, just remove the cheese and substitute white sweet potatoes. For Whole30, just remove the cheese.