Double Chocolate and Orange Cookies
I was back and forth about what recipe to share with you next. Just because I shared the thumbprint cookies a few days ago, did we really need another cookie recipe so soon? Uh, the answer is a resounding YES! Right?! Is there such a thing as too many cookies? I think not.
These cookies are soft and slightly chewy, with more of a cakey texture than a crispy cookie. I used Simple Mill’s chocolate frosting on top, that I flavored with a touch of orange extract and I think the frosting perfectly complemented these cake-like cookies. Grain free recipes can be on the drier side and the frosting, I think, lent the perfect moisture content to keep these from being dry in any sense of the word. I only added orange extract to the frosting plus I grated some orange zest to the tops of the finished cookies and I think that was plenty of orange flavor. There’s no extract in the cookies themselves. However, if you’re not planning on frosting them (your loss! Just kidding, they would be fine without the frosting :)), you could absolutely add a teaspoon to the batter itself instead. It’s completely up to you.
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 2 Tbls cassava flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbls coconut sugar
- 2 Tbls honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut shortening or ghee
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 T cocoa powder
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 can Simple Mills chocolate frosting
- ½ tsp orange extract
- 1 T orange zest, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Using a hand beater or kitchenaid mixer, beat shortening, sugar, egg, honey, and vanilla together until completely combined and slightly fluffy.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder to shortening mixture and beat to combine. Stir in chocolate chips at the end.
- Using a 2 oz cookie scoop (or about ¼ cup size), place 12 balls of dough on cookie sheet and flatten a bit into disc shapes.
- Bake 10-11 minutes or until set and slightly browned. Allow to fully cool before frosting.
- Stir in orange extract into ½ can of Simple Mills frosting. Frost cookies lightly and sprinkle zest over the top.