Using Leftover Mashed Potatoes
National Stop Food Waste Day just happens to be today! Who knew? I’ve had this post in my drafts folder for months and it seemed like the perfect post for stopping food waste. How to use leftovers up helps with food waste, right? I’m not a huge fan of leftovers so repurposing them into something else is one of the few ways I’ll actually eat them. And I think especially right now, with the whole world struggling, we should be thinking about ways to reduce waste and save a bit of money. So, here’s 4 ways for leftover mashed potatoes, something I seem to always have on hand. 🙂
Potato Soup, like this Corned Beef-Potato Soup that I made to use up not one, but two leftovers! 😉
Individual Shepherds Pie Cups. Always a fun dinner idea for the kiddos!
And finally, a new recipe for you! These Cheesy Mini Mashed Potato Muffins are perfect for tiny kids hands and would go perfect on your Mother’s Day tables in a couple of weeks!
Cheesy Mini Mashed Potato Muffins
- 2 cups cold leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded cheese any kind you’d like! I used a goat Gouda.
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil spray
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
Add tablespoon sized scoops to Mini muffin tin. If using a regular muffin tin, try 1/4 cup servings.
Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from muffin tin and serve warm.
Bonus tip for using those leftover mashed potatoes!
Mashed potatoes freeze really well. Just take cold mashed potatoes, scoop into 1/2 cup servings and place on a cookie sheet. Freeze overnight. Remove from cookie sheet and place in ziploc baggie. Freeze for up to 3 months. To defrost, place however many servings you’d like in the refrigerator for a few hours and then bake in 400 degree oven until reheated.
National Stop Food Waste Day
- 4 ways to use leftover mashed potatoes by Frugal & Fit
- Empanada Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Broccoli and Ham Quiche by Blogghetti
- Antipasto Smothered Chicken by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Greek Chicken Salad with Quinoa by Palatable Pastime
- How To Make Vegetable Broth with Scraps by The Spiffy Cookie
- Buttermilk Bread by Making Miracles
- Chicken Meatball Pasta Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings