Gluten Free Pistachio Cacao Cookies
Welcome to Christmas Cookie Week! This is, hands down, my favorite food event of the year. I mean, come on, who doesn’t like Christmas cookies, am I right?! I LOVE Christmastime and all the baking, decorating, and family events. And it’s the last food event of the year for me so I’m ready to go out with a bang! I think you’re going to love these gluten free pistachio cacao cookies as well as the other cookie recipes I’ll be sharing the rest of the week.
Gluten Free Pistachio Cacao Cookies
Have you started thinking about Christmas cookies or Christmas baking yet? Maybe you’re in need of some cookie exchange ideas? Or some new recipes for those work potlucks? Well, I’ve got you covered! Christmas Cookie Week is going to provide dozens of recipe ideas for you! You’re sure to be a hit at your next work event or party with any of these wonderful recipes!
(Disclaimer: not all of the recipes from my fellow blogging buddies are allergy friendly. Please review each recipe for allergy friendliness)
I’ll be sharing with all of you three brand new Christmas cookies this week. All three are adaptions that I’ve made gluten free and are some of my family’s favorite cookies of all time! The first one are these gluten free pistachio cacao cookies. Just subtly sweet and perfect with a cup of tea, snuggled up by your fireplace.
You could even mix up the nut in these. Try hazelnuts, almonds, or pecans. Whatever nut you try, they’re sure to be delicious! Super easy to create, you can even freeze the dough for later. Make sure to let them cool completely, as this is one cookie that’s not as good hot from the oven! Because of the gluten free flours, they’re very crumbly when they’re hot, too much so to eat easily. They’re also kind of chalky when hot. I’m not sure why. But once they cool, the butter in them takes over and results in a flaky, delicate, buttery cookie you won’t be able to get enough of! Try them, you won’t be disappointed.
Gluten Free Pistachio Cacao Shortbread
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch or arrowroot
- 8 tbsp butter sub vegan butter for dairy free
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
To roll dough in…
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup coarse sanding sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
In a food processor, pulse pistachios and salt until fine meal texture.
Add butter, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla to pistachios. Cream together until light and fluffy.
Add flours and starch to butter mixture. Pulse until dough forms.
Add cacao nibs last and pulse till combined.
Remove dough from food processor and divide into two.
Roll dough into a 2 inch diameter wide log. Wrap in Saran Wrap and refrigerate an hour. Repeat with other half of dough.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
After refrigerating, remove dough from refrigerator and unwrap.
Combine sugar, pistachios, and cacao nibs on a plate.
Brush beaten egg around log.
Roll dough in pistachio mixture and slice into 1/4 inch discs.
Place on lined cookie sheet and bake in oven 10 minutes.
Remove from oven, transfer cookies to wire rack, and cool completely before consuming 🙂
Monday Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Almond Joy Cookies from Cheese Curd in Paradise
- British Brandy Snaps from Art of Natural Living
- Chewy Gingerdoodles from Blogghetti
- Chocolate Mint Thumbprints from Sweet Beginnings
- Chocolate Peppermint Stuffed Cookies from Family Around the Table
- Confetti Sprinkle Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookies from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- M&M Santa Cookies from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Eggnog Cookies from Devour Dinner
- Gluten-Free Pistachio Cacao Cookies from Frugal & Fit
- Gingerbread Cookies from Jen around the world
- Lemon Drop Cookies from Take Two Tapas
- Magic Cookie Bars from Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Mandarin Orange White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
- Molasses Cookies from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mulled Cider Spiced Brown Sugar Cookies from The Spiffy Cookie
- Old Fashioned Spritz Cookies from An Affair from the Heart
- Orange-Scented Alfajores from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Grape Nuts from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Quick Maple Oatmeal Cookies from Christmas Tree Lane
- Salted Caramel Fudge Drops from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Santa Hat Red Velvet Mini Cookie Cups from Magical Ingredients
- Slice and Bake Butter Pecan Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spiced Christmas Cookies from Daily Dish Recipes
- The Best Slice and Bake Christmas Cookies from Kate’s Recipe Box