Gluten Free Pecan Shortbread Bars – #SpringSweetsWeek
I’ve never made a pecan pie before. I know, shocking, right? In my mind, that always seemed like a southern thing and I didn’t grow up eating it for Thanksgiving or other special occasions. I’m now kicking myself, because O.M.G. It’s completely delicious. For these gluten free pecan shortbread bars, I basically took a pecan pie filling and poured it over a shortbread crust. An entire 9×13 pan, gone in 24 hours. I kid you not.
A big thank you to Millican Pecans for sponsoring this recipe as part of #SpringSweetsWeek! All opinions are my own.
I’ve been telling people for 2 weeks now, I’ve never been more grateful to be a gluten and dairy free eater and baker. While our store shelves are void of basic necessities like bread, milk, flour, and pasta, I’ve not had any problems finding allergy friendly equivalents to these products. And I’m also so incredibly grateful to have a job I can do at home and not be worrying about finances. Because, let’s face it, gluten free products are pricey.
These gluten free pecan shortbread bars are a little more complicated to make, just because you have to create the shortbread first and then pour the pecan pie filling over the top. But, oh man, they are totally worth the little bit of hassle. And they’re not hard to make, just a bit more time consuming than most of my other recipes. And I’m sure you’ll be the hit of your house if you make these. I sure was!
Don’t forget to check out our fun giveaway where you could win some great sweet treats from Millican Pecan, along with other prizes from our Spring Sweets Week sponsors (click HERE to see a full list of prizes!). Scroll below the recipe to find the giveaway info + other great recipes from my fellow Spring Sweets bloggers!
Gluten Free Pecan Shortbread Bars
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour I used Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1
- 1/4 cup cassava flour I used Otto's
- 1/4 cup arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 sticks (8 tbls) softened butter Sub margarine for dairy free
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the pecan topping
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- 8 tbsp butter Sub margarine for dairy free
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup coconut cream
For the shortbread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a nonstick 9x9 baking dish with cooking oil.
In a food processor or kitchenaid, combine flours, tapioca starch, sugar, and salt together.
Cut in butter until coarse crumbs appear. Pour into baking dish and press into bottom of pan.
Bake crust for 15-18 minutes, or until just lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool in pan.
To make pecan filling
Place a saucepan over medium-low heat.
Add butter, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt to pan. Combine to melt butter.
Once butter is melted, add coconut cream and pecans. Stir to combine.
Pour mixture over the shortbread crust. Bake in oven 20 minutes until filling is bubbly and deepens in color. Remove from oven and cool completely.
Cut bars into 2 inch squares and serve. You can also freeze these if desired (though they did not come close to lasting that long!)
Wednesday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Blueberry Rhubarb Quick Bread by Palatable Pastime
- Bunny Carrot Cakes by Simply Inspired Meals
- Cake Batter Milkshakes by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Carrot Cake Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Chocolate Raspberry Mocha Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Coffee Banana Breakfast Smoothie by Shockingly Delicious
- Coffee Brownies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coffee Chip No Churn Ice Cream by A Savory Feast
- Easy Lemon Cake Mix Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
- Fairy Cakes by That Recipe
- Gluten Free Pecan Shortbread Bars by Frugal & Fit
- Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream by Sweet Beginnings
- Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf by Blogghetti
- Lemon Poppy Seed Madeleines by The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Raspberry Cake Mix Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Mini Funfetti Cheesecakes by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mocha Cake by Fresh April Flours
- Mocha Mint Chocolate Cream Puffs by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Spring Toffee Crack by Jen Around the World
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Millican Pecan, Door County Coffee & Tea Co., Anolon, Fresh April Sprinkles, Deiss Kitchenware, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.