Gluten Free Grilled Peach Shortcakes
#FarmersMarketWeek is drawing to a close, but I’ve got one last recipe for ya’ll! These gluten free grilled peach shortcakes are the perfect farmer’s market recipe for this Colorado blogger because our Palisade peaches are just THAT good. Have you ever heard of Palisade peaches? I hadn’t until maybe 5 years ago. And I’ve lived in Colorado for 25 years! On the Western Slope of Colorado, the little town of Palisade has been growing peaches since the 1880’s. We get over 300 days of sun and with a 180 day growing season, Palisades actually ranks 7th for most peaches grown in the U.S.
Palisade peaches are just about everywhere right now. They’re in every farmers’ market, every grocery, and even roadside stands. Since they’re easy to find (and cheap!), I knew I had to come up with a rockin’ dessert that featured these bad boys.Voila! Gluten free grilled peach shortcakes! I actually like peach shortcake better than strawberry. And grilling the peaches just takes it to the next step! It’s definitely a dessert your entire family will enjoy.
P.S. Colorado is also known for it’s Rocky Ford cantaloupe! See, we’re not solely a mountain ski community 🙂
P.P.S. Need some substitutes for food preferences or allergies? Look no further! I’ve got you covered.
- Dairy free? Everything but the whipped cream is already dairy free. Sub some coconut whipped cream for regular! You can make your own or buy premade at Sprouts or Whole Foods. Natural Grocers may also carry it.
- Sugar free? Sub stevia or erythritol in both the whipped cream and shortcakes. Easy peasy!
- Paleo? Sub coconut whipped cream again. The shortcakes are already Paleo! Score!
Gluten Free Grilled Peach Shortcake
An easy summer dessert that caters well to food allergies! Low in sugar, but full of flavor!
- 2 cups finely ground almond flour I like Costco's!
- 1/2 cup cassava flour I used Otto's
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted (you could also use butter or ghee)
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup plus some for basting
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 peaches
- 2 cups whipped cream
In a mixing bowl, combine flours, baking soda, and salt.
Add wet ingredients to flour mixture (melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and eggs). Stir to combine. Dough will be wetter than a normal biscuit.
Place bowl in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to set.
While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Remove dough from refrigerator and shape into 6 large balls.
Place balls on a lined cookie sheet and press down firmly with hand to slightly flatten dough balls. Dough should be about an inch thick.
Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Remove from oven and cool.
For the peaches
As the shortcakes are cooking, cut peaches in half and remove pit.
Baste with more maple syrup (if desired) and place on medium high heat grill. Grill for 5 minutes on each side.
Remove from grill and cool slightly.
Allow shortcakes to cool. Once room temperature, slice shortcakes in half.
Top each shortcake with a peach half, add whipped and cream, and top with additional shortcake half. Serve immediately.
Farmer’s Market Week is always the first week in August. Whether you have a great local farm stand or market, are a member of a CSA or purchase your fruits and vegetables at the supermarket, follow our Pinterest board, for great recipes including those for appetizers, drinks, breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and more.
Here’s more Farmer’s Market Week Recipes
Starters and Sauce Recipes
- Amish Mustard Pickled Eggs by Palatable Pastime
- Cheddar Zucchini Scones by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Salsa by SueBee Homemaker
- Spicy Blender Salsa by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Summer Charcuterie Board by Magical Ingredients
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Take Two Tapas
- Watermelon Margarita by Lemon Blossoms
Side Dishes Recipes
- Green Beans Almondine by Life Love and Good Food
- Olive Garden Salad by Devour Dinner
- Parmesan Roasted Zucchini Boats by Family Around the Table
- Zucchini Crisp by Kate’s Recipe Box
Main Dish Recipes
- Chicken Asparagus Pasta Recipe by Hostess At Heart
- Grilled Choripán with Chimichurri by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Heirloom Tomato and Fresh Mozzarella Caprese Sandwich by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Heirloom Tomato Pie by The Fresh Cooky
- Mushroom Bourguignon by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Rotisserie Chicken Quesadillas with Fresh Pico de Gallo by Blogghetti
- Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake by House of Nash Eats
- Gluten Free Grilled Peach Shortcakes by Frugal & Fit
- Grilled Fruit Tortilla Rollups by The Freshman Cook
- Pavlovas with Whipped Cream and Berry Compote by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Skillet Sourdough Blueberry Cobbler by Savory Moments
- Summer Berry Dutch Baby by The Redhead Baker