Gluten-Free Graveyard Dirt Cake
I’m not a cake fan, for the most part. Never have been. It’s mostly the frosting I’m not big on. Mousse cake, I’m fine with. Or a whipped cream frosting? Yes, that’s good too! But a ton of that cheap, sugary frosting? No thank you. So instead of birthday cake, my mom used to make me dirt cake for my birthday growing up. Today, I’m bringing you a spin on the classic dirt cake, with a treat perfect for Halloween: Gluten-Free Graveyard Dirt Cake!
This recipe for Gluten-Free Graveyard Dirt Cake is generously sponsored by Sweets & Treats and Treat Street USA. All opinions are my own.
When you’ve got food allergies, many times you end up having to make your own treats, because nothing on the market perfectly matches what you need! I ended up having to make my own tombstones (that recipe is coming next week!) and my own dairy free pudding. But that’s ok! Because when you make something from scratch, you’re sure to know what’s in it! And homemade ALWAYS tastes better, right?!
The pudding base for this gluten-free graveyard dirt cake is so decadent and chocolaty. I lightened it up with a tub of dairy free Coco whip. You don’t have to do this. Using plain pudding is just fine too, but the coconut whipped cream gives your dessert a refreshingly light texture, more like mousse. You could also make your own coconut whipped cream, if you’re so inclined. (If you do that, please come over and teach me! I have yet to master the technique of homemade coconut whipped cream!)
I did use store bought oreos for the “dirt”. Glutino’s oreos are gluten free and dairy free so they work well for me. Walmart also has a gluten free version of Oreos that’s dairy free too. I’ve not tried them though so I don’t know how good (or bad) they are. Anyone tried them before that wants to provide feedback? Tell us in the comments below!
Don’t forget to enter the #HalloweenTreatsWeek giveaway below! You could win some fun prizes from our sponsors.
Also, check out the other amazing Halloween treat recipes from my fellow bloggers!
Gluten Free Graveyard Dirt Cake
For the Dairy Free Pudding
- 1 14 oz can coconut cream don't use light, I used Thai Kitchen's
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- 4 tbsp high quality cocoa powder I used Divine
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract I used Adam's Extracts
- 1 pinch sea salt
To create cake
- 1 recipe dairy free chocolate pudding
- 1 tub coconut whipped topping I used Coco Whip
- 1 package gluten free oreos I used Glutino's
- 2 tbsp black sprinkles I used Sweets & Treats
- 4 gluten free chocolate cookies, shaped into tombstones
- orange gel frosting
- pumpkin sprinkles I used Sweets & Treats
- 2 Treat Street USA gummy zombie hands
Make the pudding:
In a small saucepan, whisk together maple syrup, arrowroot starch, and cocoa powder.
Add coconut cream and stir to combine.
Heat over medium heat until simmering. Don't bring to a boil, because it will boil over!
Whisk till the mixture starts to thicken. Add vanilla extract and salt and continue whisking till combined.
Remove from heat. Pour into a heat safe bowl and refrigerate overnight. Pudding will thicken as it cools.
Make the cake:
Take pudding out of refrigerator. Stir in coconut whipped topping (about 4 cups) till well combined.
Pour pudding mixture into a 9x9 baking dish.
Grind up oreos to make the "dirt". I used a food processor, which is easiest, but you can also crush them in a ziploc if necessary.
Pour oreo crumbs over the top of pudding. Sprinkle chocolate sprinkles over the oreos to make it look a little sparkly and more realistic.
Using orange frosting, decorate the tombstone cookies as desired. Place the cookies and the zombie hands in the pudding to create your graveyard. Sprinkle some pumpkin sprinkles around as a finishing touch.
Keep graveyard dirt cake refrigerated until ready to serve.
#HalloweenTreatsWeek is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 2nd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 41 fantastically talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 160 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away a “Dinner and Dessert Set” – ONE 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, a Pyrex mixing bowl set plus some fun Dixie Crystals items like a Dixie Crystal Apron and Cookbook!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Peppermint, 1.5oz Almond, 1 bottle vanilla cinnamon sugar, 1 bottle pumpkin pie spice
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Texturra 7-Piece Bakeware Set
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away a large baking box of goodies! Sweets and Treats will send one lucky winner a large assortment of sprinkles and lines and other samples of their products!
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a set of Holiday Treat Decorations (1 Gummy Assortment, 1 Marshmallow Snowman, 1 Toy Solider and 1 Gingerbread Men)
Prize # 6– Litehouseis giving away the following: 1 Litehouse® Honeycrisp Apple Cider, 1 Litehouse® Old Fashioned Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Pumpkin Spice Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Butterscotch Caramel & 1 Litehouse® Chocolate Dip, Snack Packs
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 7th – October 13th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, Treat Street USA and Litehouse! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- BloodShot Eyeball Chocolate Apple Slices from Big Bear’s Wife
- Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars from Fake Ginger
- Day of the Dead Mexican Hot Cocoa from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gluten Free Graveyard Dirt Cake from Frugal & Fit
- Sugar Skull S’mores Cheesecake from Cookaholic Wife
- Jack Skellington Peanut Butter Cups from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Hocus Pocus Potion from Jen Around the World
- Halloween Puppy Chow from Daily Dish Recipes
- Halloween Spooky Finger Cupcakes from Everyday Eileen
- Ghostly Halloween Brownie Cupcakes from Sweet Beginnings
- Halloween Chocolate Crack from Back To My Southern Roots
- Frosted Halloween Sheet Pan Cookies from Creative Southern Home
- Slime Lava Cakes from The Spiffy Cookie
- Hocus Pocus Cake Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Dia de los Muertos Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Ghoul’s Blood Cocktail from West Via Midwest
- Halloween Pretzel Owls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Monster Mash Halloween Edible Cookie Dough from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Haunted Gingerbread House from The Redhead Baker
- Black Cat Brownies from Jonesin’ For Taste
- Frankenberry Berry Hand Pies from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Haunted House Cupcake Tower from Pint Sized Baker
- Halloween Mummy Pizza Toast from Katie’s Cucina
- Ghostly Pumpkin Custards from My Sweet Zepol
- Cinnamon & Sugar Pretzel Bones from Savory Moments
- Bloody Good Vegan Cherry Chip Bundt Cake from The Baking Fairy
- Halloween Candy Kabobs from Intelligent Domestications
- Halloween Hand Pies from A Blender Mom
- Halloween Dessert Board from Books n’ Cooks