Gluten Free Blood Orange Cupcakes
This is the last #FreakyFruitsFriday, you guys! How is this month over 1/2 over??? Is it just me, or does the last quarter of the year always speed by? Before you know it, it’ll be Thanksgiving and then bam! Christmas will be here. But before we say adios to Freaky Fruits, here’s one last recipe. These gluten free blood orange cupcakes are just plain delicious!
This recipe is sponsored by Melissa’s Produce. All opinions are my own.
I think I’m the master of the gluten free cupcake. It’s probably my #1 requested dessert. My Snickers Cupcakes? Amazing (if I do say so myself). These Rocky Road Cupcakes? Divine. And these gluten free blood orange cupcakes? They’re moist and by no means crumbly, like so many gluten free baked goods can be. They aren’t too sweet and they burst with vibrant flavor. I just wish I was a better froster. Maybe I need to take a class. Anybody know of a cake decorating class? I don’t think I’ve done the passion fruit frosting justice. It tastes fine, but aesthetically? Not so much. Please forgive my lack of piping bag expertise. 😉
Thank you to Melissa’s Produce for supplying us with so much fun fruit! It was so much fun getting to experience new exotic flavors and experimenting with new recipes! I hope you all have enjoyed this series and don’t forget to check out the other fun recipes from these fellow bloggers!
- Blood Orange Bars by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Buttermilk Passion Fruit Poundcake with Blood-Orange Glaze by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Dragon Fruit and Blood Orange Salad with Pecans by Hezzi-d’s Books and Cooks
- Freaky Fruit Cocktails by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Gluten Free Blood Orange Cupcakes with Passion Fruit Frosting by Frugal & Fit
- Grilled Beef Salad with Kiwano Dressing by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kiwano and Blood Orange Smoothies by Blogghetti
- Mini Vegan Pavlovas with Coconut Cream and Passionfruit Curd by The Baking Fairy
- Muhallebi (Middle Eastern Milk Pudding) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Passion Fruit & Blood Orange Curd Tart by Savory Moments
- Passion Fruit Coconut Loaf Cake by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Passion Fruit Lemonade by Jonesin’ For Taste
Gluten Free Blood Orange Cupcakes with Passionfruit Frosting
- 2 1/4 cup Extra fine almond flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut flour
- 3/4 cup Light colored honey
- 4 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil Melted
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp Blood orange zest From rind
- 1/4 cup Blood orange juice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
For the frosting
- 1 cup Palm shortening
- 1/2 cup Coconut butter
- 2 cup Powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Passionfruit purée
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, honey, vanilla, coconut oil, blood orange zest and juice together.
Add in coconut flour, almond flour, and salt and stir to combine.
Pour 1/2 cup of batter into each muffin tin.
Bake 15-16 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely.
For the frosting
Combine all frosting ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
Using a hand beater, beat until frosting is smooth and lump free. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to set.
Place frosting into a frosting bag and frost as desired.