Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy – #Brunchweek
Today starts our next super fun food series: BrunchWeek! I haven’t participated in one of these events in a long time. Honestly, I haven’t posted a new recipe in months. So sorry. I’ve literally been traveling 3 out of the last 6 months. It’s been nuts. But I’m back with a great recipe that I’ve been meaning to create for a couple of years now: Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy!
Do you know the secret to gluten free baking? It’s using a combination of flours and getting the flour to moisture ratio correct. Do you know how I do that for biscuits? Bob’s Red Mill gluten free one-to-one baking flour mix and a combo of buttermilk and yogurt. You get the ultimate high rising biscuit that’s flaky and moist. Perfect to top with with this sausage gravy recipe or your favorite butter and jam combo! They’re divine. Absolutely divine. And the sausage gravy is delicious too. Not too heavy and I don’t add rosemary or sage to this recipe. Is it just me who’s stomach sometimes can’t handle those spices early in the morning? I make my own breakfast sausage patties because most brands have too much of these spices. It makes me nauseous for some reason. 🤷🏻♀️ But don’t worry, this recipe for Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy is sage free. LOL.
Gluten Free Biscuits & Gravy
For the biscuits
- 1 Cup gluten free flour mix I used Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 Cup butter chilled and cut into tbsps
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Large egg
- 1/3 Cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 Cup buttermilk
For the gravy
- 1/2 Pound pork sausage
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 2 Cups milk can sub cashew milk for all cow’s milk ingredients
- 2 tbsp butter sub ghee or coconut oil if desired
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning, optional. if you want. I didn’t add it because again, I don’t like sage in the morning 😁
For the biscuits
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a food processor. Pulse to combine.
Cut up cold butter into tablespoon sized pieces. Add to flour mixture and pulse until mixture is in tiny crumbles.
Add apple cider vinegar, egg, yogurt, and buttermilk to flour mixture and pulse just until dough comes to together slightly.
Dump dough onto floured surface. Knead with hands until firm dough forms. Add a little more buttermilk if dough is too dry.
Roll dough out into 1 inch thickness with a rolling pin. Cut out with a biscuit cutter or glass.
Place biscuits on a baking sheet and bake in oven 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and cool while you make gravy.
For the gravy
Brown sausage in a large skillet. Set aside.
To skillet, melt butter over medium heat and stir in flour for 1-2 minutes.
Add milk, cream, and spices to butter and flour mixture, slowly.
Stir with a whisk over medium heat until sauce thickens to desired consistency. Add more milk if sauce is too thick.
Add sausage back to gravy mixture and reheat till bubbly.
Pour gravy over biscuits and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Monday #BrunchWeek Recipes
- Cold Brew Coffee Boba from That Recipe
Appetizers and Salads
- Masala Labneh Pastry Swirls from Magical Ingredients
- Smoked Trout Polenta Canapés from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Smoked Turkey Cheddar Kabobs with Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
Breads, Grains, and Cereals
- GF Biscuits and Gravy from Frugal & Fit
- Korvapuustit (Finnish Cinnamon Rolls) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Quick and Easy Buttermilk Biscuits from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Strawberry Muffins from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Crustless Broccoli and Cheese Mini Quiches from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Naan Breakfast Pizza from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Bacon, Tomato, and Corn Galette from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chicken Pesto Pasta from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Loco Moco from Palatable Pastime