Paleo Approved Jagerschnitzel
Sometimes, I impress myself with how well a recipe comes out. This was one of those times. On Monday, I started a round of the 21-day Sugar Detox. I tend to do it once a year or so and I was definitely feeling like a detox/cleanse was in order after the holidays and vacation! This recipe is not only Paleo but detox approved as well! If I wasn’t on the sugar detox, I would have added red wine to the gravy. Feel free to if you’re not watching those grams of sugar! I also pureed the mushrooms for the gravy because I’m not a fan of the texture of cooked mushrooms but you do whatever your heart desires!
4 thin cut boneless pork chops
½ cup almond flour
1 T Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 egg, whisked
1 T mustard
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
4 T Butter or Ghee (I used Fourth and Heart’s garlic ghee)
½ cup button mushrooms, minced
1 T Tapioca starch
2 T minced onions
½ C beef bone broth
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 T plain sour cream (or I used Kite Hill’s plain yogurt to make it dairy free)
¼ cup red wine, optional
- In large saucepan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Pound pork chops to ¼ inch thickness. In a small mixing bowl, combine almond flour, Italian seasoning, salt and paprika. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and mustard together
- Coat pork in flour combination. Then, dip in egg and repeat coating in flour. Add to fry oil and fry till golden brown (about 4-5 minutes per side). Drain on a paper towel.
- Drain oil from saucepan and add butter to pan. Saute mushrooms, onions, and garlic for 2 minutes. Add tapioca starch and make a roux. Cook 2 minutes until lightly brown. Add wine and reduce by 1/3. Add broth and continue cooking until thickened and reduced by 1/3 again. Stir in sour cream and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, cover pork with the sauce. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with your choice of starch.