Breakfast in a Hurry
Breakfast is not my favorite meal. I really hate eggs, although I’ve grown to tolerate them scrambled or in a quiche or casserole. But I just don’t usually feel like eating till about 11:00am or so. This past week on the sugar detox, I’ve drank a smoothie for breakfast 6 out of the 7 days. That and coffee will tide me over till lunch. However, Tuesday I woke up and wanted a breakfast scramble. I just happened to have all the ingredients to make it on hand and the time to whip it up! I’ve made this dish a few times and the original recipe comes from Mark’s Daily Apple. Me being me, I modified it 🙂 Trust me on this, this breakfast casserole is awesome! I know you’re thinking, “turnips? Ewww”. But although they smell like horseradish raw, they mellow out as they bake and really have the same texture as hashbrowns! And they look the same too! You can easily switch up the veggies in this for whatever you’d like. I usually add a sharp cheese to this as well. Top it with salsa and you’ve got yourself a party in your mouth!
Primal Breakfast Casserole
2 large turnips
1 large carrot, shredded
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 cup sharp cheddar (I used KerryGold Irish cheddar), shredded
16 oz pork breakfast sausage (use whatever meat you’d like. I actually used spicy Italian this time)
4 eggs, whisked
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- In a large frying pan, cook sausage until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Shred turnips using either a hand cheese shredder or a Cuisinart. The Cuisinart is easier, trust me!
- Shred carrots and cheese with same tool. Combine with turnips.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and toss to coat. Pour in casserole dish and bake 40-45 minutes until set and top is lightly brown. Serve warm with salsa.